Saturday, March 17, 2007

Eat to live, live to eat...

if someone were to asked me what's my favourite food? well, I may not be able to answer immediately... straight away... point blank you know like... Rojak or Steak Sandwic or just plain nasi lemak. I can't do it. Ok, let's take it by meal times.

Breakfast - Naturally, my favourite meal time of the day. I'm okay with toast + butter + jam or kaya. This is my staple growing up food. The whole of my schooling years, really I never got bored of it. Infact this is the last thing on my mind before I go to sleep. I can still remember when I was 10 or 11, when I was all alone in my room, feeling slightly anxious all alone in the dark, that moment before the requisite citation of Surah Al- Ikhlas and a couple of other Surah to keep me safe throughout slumber, I would imagine waking up to the smell of toast and shiny melted butter on my slightly burnt toast, and then the jam only ever so little not too much that it would overcome the taste of butter, just a little over the butter to complement the salty taste of butter. Emmmppphhh, even writing it now, I can smell the toast, the butter, the jam...yumm yumm! Later on in life at Uni I discovered cereals and milk, I don't know why. We never drank fresh milk at home when I was a kid. Just the sight and smell of milk put me off. I even drank nescafe before school with CONDENSED MILK. Give me a cup of Nescafe with CONDENSED milk now, I won't be able to drink it without making a face. Cannot stand the sweetness now. Anyway, fresh milk. Don't know what's sooo special about fresh milk in the UK, somehow I got started to drinking them, stocking them in fact for my coffee and also to have them with cereals. So that's my breakfast at uni, plus the mandatory yesss, toast and butter and jams.
Back in school, besides the normal toast, sometimes, mom would surprise us with 1/2 boiled egg which is ever so welcomed. Aaaaahhh, hot toast with butter, warm 1/2 boiled egg with soy sauce and pepper. Buttered toast is then pinched little by little and dunked in the egg and wham! yum!!yum!! sooo sedap!!!!

Now, a good breakfast for me would be of course the toast, again. Then perhaps some cereal like, the normal Kellog's Cornflakes, yes it has to be Kellog's! Nestle's just doesn't quite cut it. Then there's also Quaker Squares, trying to be healthy you see. Can't bring myself to eat the original muesli and oats, so quaker oats "with a hint of brown sugar" is the healthiest that I would go. Emmm what else, oh yes, sometimes I treat myself to Kellog's Frosties. Soo much sugar!!! That's why I said sometimes! If it were up to hubby, a good breakfast would be scramble eggs with onions and mushrooms, baked beans sometimes with corn or fried tomatoes on the side, plus sausages and toasts (but of course). My hubby loves sausages, a beef man he is. Well, I'm not so into sausages other then Ikea's. Now that's another story altogether... perhaps more in the line of what to eat when in IKEA. What else, oh yes for a change we would have this English breakfast I believe it's refered to, instead of with toast, with pancakes. Hubba!hubba!!! Need I say more??

As I am rambling about growing up eating toast bla! bla! bla! doesn't mean that I don't go local my friend. On the contrary, ever since I started work, since it is so difficult to get a decently priced western food for breakie... and it's too early in the morning to have it at home, I have resorted to eating local dishes for breakfast! You, can't be having nasi lemak every day, so I try to have a good mix. Sometimes roti canai, tosai, nasi goreng, mee/ mee hoon goreng, masalavadai. But I do try to save the roti canai for weekends to eat with the family coz my kids. Nayli and Zarif love tosai and roti canai and like their mom, they can even sip the dhal curry! No, kidding

So there I think I have about covered all the food that I normally have for breakfast. Ok, I just remembered, if hash brown is more readily available, I might have more of it and to go with my English breakfast too. Don't you just love hash brown? So I normally indulge myself with more than one if I can get them at a hotel breakfast buffet spread. Should remember to look around for it during my next trip to the supermarket.

Phew! too tired to continue... will stop now, will pick it up with my Lunch menu soon. gonna grab a snack now.

No comments: