Friday, March 21, 2008

Good Old Fashioned Pancakes

I love pancakes. Absolutely adore them. Could eat a whole serving of the SF coffee's Pancake breakfast, and that's a lot my friend! In order to have 'em at the comfort of my home sharing it with the family, we normally settle for the instant ones that comes in a box, all that needs to be done is add water and eggs, and of course fry them. They're good, no problem but I have been wondering of late if there are too much preservatives in them being instant and all.

So I have been surfing the web for an authentic recipe that has very basic simple ingredients, came across one in All Recipes.com, with a really good rating and review. Tried it last weekend, it was unbelievably awesome, if I can say so myself he!he! Honestly it came out the way it should be, my hubby can testify to that. Though he asked me a couple of times, ok so more than just a couple of times whether or not I truly made them from scratch myself. Well, yesterday I made them again and I got even bolder and doubled the recipe so that I could save some leftover pancakes for the weekend. This time I have evidence.
Here's the recipe, if you click on the recipe link above, you will get the actual recipe. I have somehow combined the recipe to have a bit from the original posted recipe plus taking into account the 1st review, where the reviewer posted some changes that she made to the recipe.
Please note that the recipe below is for double servings. Please reduce them by half if you are not feeding for 10 people or like me want to save some leftovers to spare all the measuring and sifting.
Ingredients:
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 1/2 cups milk
4 tbsp baking powder
1/8 cup sugar
3/4 tsp salt
6 tbsp butter
a splash of vanilla
2 eggs
Method:
In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar. Mix wet and dry ingredients separately.
Let the eggs come to room temp, heat the milk just a little so that when it was added to the melted butter it would not re-solidify the butter. Since I almost always forget to take the butter out in advance to soften it, what I did when I heated the milk was to dump in the butter into the milk to melt it. Whatever it is, I guess the reviewer mentioned how crucial it is to ensure that the wet ingredients are not cold.
Make a well in the center and pour in the wet ingredients. Use a whisk sparingly and you will see it come together beautifully with no lumps.
Allow the mixture to sit for about 10 minutes before starting to make the pancakes (that's what the reviewer said in the web, don't know why perhaps to let the baking powder and eggs do their thang).
Heat a non-stick pan, so I didn't even need to oil it at all over a medium high heat. Pour or scoop as much batter as you like, depending on how big you like your pancakes to be. I used a small ladle, so that it is about 3-3 1/2 inches in diameter. I find this is a good enough size especially if you are serving to kids. This I leave it to my maid, she is more consistent when it comes to this particular part.
Brown on both sides and serve hot. Don't forget to have your pancake syrup ready or honey. Slather the pancakes with butter or margarine spread before the syrup or honey, it makes the pancakes more buttery and yummy. I also added some canned peaches just to be fancy. This is the sweet version of serving.
If you are also having omelette/ scrambled eggs with beans, sausages, mushrooms for breakfast or in other words a salty breakfast, these pancakes works great in replacement of the usual toasts.
Happy Cooking and of course Enjoy the pancakes!
Promised you that I have evidence:

Dry & Wet Ingredients

Sifting the flour and baking powder, if your salt and sugar are next to each
other like mine are make sure you don't screw up the measurements! (speaking fr experience!)
separate the wet and dry ingredients and mix like so



whisk sparingly until the batter looks well mixed, it does look a
bit runny but don't panic, that is fine.






once you see the air bubbles on one side and and the edges begin to loosen fr the pan turn over
this is the amount of pancakes that came out of about a single recipe

I mixed the sweet and salty

heavenly



modest serving , though not THE ONLY serving that I had, he! he! thank god I'm pregnant!

No comments: