Tuesday, November 17, 2009

In the SUN today... Guide to the LRT!


Did you manage to get hold of the Sun this morning, especially fellow LRT commuters like me? If you have 'em, or happens to see them lying around your colleagues desks, turn to page 13. There is this A-Z guide to the LRT, that makes an interesting read.

As a train commuter myself, even though I normally take only the evening trains, it is still bad enough, and I am subjected to the rules and tips of taking the train.

For instance as in the article;

D: Diet. The thinner you are, the better your chances to slip between unsuspecting train-takers to snag that sweet seat. Also if a seat between a very large man and a woman with six bags appears, you can explore unchartered waters and sit between them with ease, and go where no large-sized person had gone before. So very true, plus people in the LRT tend to crowd around the area closest to the door leaving wides spaces in the aisles between the seats and between where the coaches are connected, so if you are slim enought you can go... excuse me can I get through, and happily you can go to those spaces where the air-con is much better and the air is "fresher"!


E: Etiquette. Give your seat up to the pregnant lady or the young mother and trust in karma. What goes around, comes around. Someday the time will come when YOU need the seat and someone will give it to you. Yes, trust in karma. I was pregnant 3 times, and all those 3 times I have taken the train regularly enough to be subjected to either ignorant idiots or just plain blind individuals, big healthy men included!!! And when I say trust in karma, those people better pray hard, because whenever people didn't give up their seat to poor pregnant me, I cursed them like hell inside and pray that one day they will be treated that way too, men or women!! ha!ha!ha! Well, now that I am no longer pregnant I guess I should take that "curse" back, all these pent up feelings and vengence may not be all that good for my karma now. Forgive and forget!

K: Keep your cool. Although you feel like screaming, remind yourself it's only another few stations/stops away. As difficult as it may be to be in a crammed, non-odourless train, it really is worth it. To get to your destination exactly 22 minutes after you have left the station, since you are not subjected to the weather conditions, traffic jam and road hoggers! 


O:OMG that's a HUGE bag. Tuck those enormous bags away or someone will spend half-an-hour with zippers pressed against their backs. Taking a crowded train in the morning is bad enough, but be poked in the back by a potruding weapon disguised as a handbag is just "GAH"!  I must admit that I am guilty of this sometimes especially when I am carrying my "NEVERFULL", but really in my defense, I do not poke people with my bag, I do consciously watch where I am going, and I do say "sorry and excuse me" when I need to squeeze me and my BIG BAG to get to a clear spot. Carrying a big bag is actually also useful when the train is really packed at least I can place my bag next to that "funny" looking person that is giving me bad-vibes breathing in my face who has no decency to turn away a little so that he is not brushing happily next to me, if you catch my drift. So to correct the writer of this article, go on carry your big bag if you must just be a bit more mindful how you carry them in a full train!

S:Spend that mind-numbing hour wisely with any of these activities: daydreaming, meal-planning, cutie-staring (puhless, this is so rare ok, so very rare!), Facebooking, Twittering, or reading. Yeap, pick up a book and watch the journey shorten miraculously. Believe it or not, I have once or twice missed my stop because I was too engrossed in my reading!


No comments: