Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Weekend of Twenties Girl and Twilight.

I just love long weekends, even though without any travel plans sometimes they're not so bad at all. Last Chinese New Year weekend for instance, I finally managed to finish my Twenties Girl that I have bought two weeks ago, I think! Finally! It's a great book, Sophie K, is just a brilliant writer. I bet it would be a great movie too! I am so hoping, it'll be turned into a movie. Though, I really hope that they would keep to the story line to the letter, unlike the Shopaholic, it was a great movie, but it steered too far from the original storyline in the book, I found that a wee bit disappointing!

I actually had a great motivation to finish Twenties Girl fast. I sometimes like to take my time reading a book, either because it's a great read and I just want to take my time with it, or (I know that doesn't make sense... but sometimes I can take my time reading even if it's a good book), but usually, I would take my time if I don't have any book waiting to be read. Unlike last weekend, I had Twilight, waiting on my side table. Ooooh, I just cannot wait to see what is all the fuss about Twilight that compels some people to go on and on about it!!! Now I know! Hmmm I am simply stumped! It is really a good book, I may have spoilt the effect a little bit, cause I actually caught the movie on Astro already. I was pretty impressed that the movie was an almost perfect adaptation of the book, though if I would have replaced the Edward character with Collin Farrell in a split second (though it is quite difficult for Collin Farrell to pass as a 17 year old), sigh! Anyhow, the book yes I finished it in less than 2 days! It was superb!!! Very good writing I must say!!! Really made me "hungry" for more! Love it, love it.


If you wish to read about how Stephenie Meyer came up with the book. Well there is actually a story behind Twilight... read here. Here's a short excerpt...

The Writing: I know the exact date that I began writing Twilight, because it was also the first day of swim lessons for my kids. So I can say with certainty that it all started on June 2, 2003. Up to this point, I had not written anything besides a few chapters (of other stories) that I never got very far on, and nothing at all since the birth of my first son, six years earlier.

I woke up (on that June 2nd) from a very vivid dream. In my dream, two people were having an intense conversation in a meadow in the woods. One of these people was just your average girl. The other person was fantastically beautiful, sparkly, and a vampire. They were discussing the difficulties inherent in the facts that A) they were falling in love with each other while B) the vampire was particularly attracted to the scent of her blood, and was having a difficult time restraining himself from killing her immediately. For what is essentially a transcript of my dream, please see Chapter 13 ("Confessions") of the book.


Though I had a million things to do (i.e. making breakfast for hungry children, dressing and changing the diapers of said children, finding the swimsuits that no one ever puts away in the right place, etc.), I stayed in bed, thinking about the dream. I was so intrigued by the nameless couple's story that I hated the idea of forgetting it; it was the kind of dream that makes you want to call your friend and bore her with a detailed description. (Also, the vampire was just so darned good-looking, that I didn't want to lose the mental image.) Unwillingly, I eventually got up and did the immediate necessities, and then put everything that I possibly could on the back burner and sat down at the computer to write—something I hadn't done in so long that I wondered why I was bothering. But I didn't want to lose the dream, so I typed out as much as I could remember, calling the characters "he" and "she."

From that point on, not one day passed that I did not write something. .... Well, all I can say is that I'm really glad that Stephenie Meyer continued writing.

I am so ready for New Moon! Well, I actually just got the book this morning, so there is a tiny possibility that I might sleep late tonight!




4 comments:

zarin said...

best kan twenties girl!
twilight saga laaagi best tau!
wait til u read new moon, eclipse and breaking dawn..
i nangis tau masa baca breaking dawn tu..hihi kiasu pulak rasanya..but it was a good book!
btw, i still prefer reading d books than watching the movie :)

Eti Karim said...

Zarin, yes!!! best giler twenties girl!!! ooooh I cannot wait to go home and read new moon nie! after finishing the book, I will be looking out for the DVD lah kot, but of course will continue with the other two books too! you cried??? hmmm I nie senang jugak nangis kalau reading, abis lah I cam nie!!!

superheroes' mom said...

i love both books tu!!! recently i read Lipstick Jungle...soooo much better than the tv series, also One Fifth Avenue by the same writer jugak... love 'em!

Eti Karim said...

SHM, Lipstick Jungle & One Fifth Ave. eh?? By Candace Bushnell... hmmm perhaps I should give that a try next!!!